Monday, August 27, 2012

values vs culture


8/27/2012

  Morning! Back to Ekorso village this morning with Lexi again to interview the chiefs and committee of the sanitation and water  regarding the boreholes. I learned so much when we met with the committee and they had tables out in a classroom for us to sit which was very formal. Seth our great interpreter  helped us around the village again. Whenever we are with Seth he makes our touring more fun because he supports me wanting to learn the culture even more and translates every question I have. Seth lets me ask questions and really includes me in conversations. Anyways, while i was in the village I really wanted to take advantage in trying to live like a Ghanaian. I asked a villager and asked if I can try to carry a baby like the woman do in the villages. And I got to! The mother cleaned and changed the baby into new clothes for me to try which was so sweet. And carrying the baby for a little bit meant so much to me! Because I want to take in as much as I can, I am willing to try to new things. The way I learn is to try it and it helps me to learn the culture even more. This trip is helping me learn to live the moment and by doing so I try new things! I feel so welcomed here because they are so accepting and always welcomes me. During the committee meeting, we discussed the goals and troubles of the borehole(water pump) since the government built it. It seems that the villagers don't make a commitment to pay  a small fee for the borehole because the government built it so there is an expectation. I agree with the commitee that families of eacho house should pay a small fee in order to pay for the damage. It was common that every village wanted more boreholes but I think they need education on how to maintain. It was just me and Lexi at the meeting. I spoke and really focused on what the men were sharing. One man asked for us to return and help with the boreholes. I feel useless in a way because I do not have much power or education to help or educate a borehole. I have connections but I dont want to make promises. I realized how much the villagers really want to seek answers and apparently us "Americans" may be the answer. I told them I cannot promise anything or my return but just gave them some steps to help improve the borehole issue. I want to really live like them such as fetching water and walking miles to the farm, just for a day though hah. So I asked Seth if I could help his family with some house chores and try learning more. I went with a young woman to a river where she fetches water because of the borehole breaking, so they are desperate for water. The river was awful, just unbelievable how  the pressure of one borehole that is working affects a village. The woman has great knowledge of the damage but cannot wait in a long line for water. Mining has become a huge deal in Abomosu now because the minors have contaminated the river and caused a huge issue within the village. Mining for gold is illegal but thats what you have to do if you need to survive.  I was emailing my Dad earlier about my recent blog about the new perspective on culture. My Dad mentioned this, " They are happy having so little. Things are not the end all of everything. Having enjoyment is much more meaningful. This is my complaint about Redmond with it's emphasis on big houses, cars,clothes and appearances".  I loved this because it was so meaningful and my Dad helped me think better about my new perspective on cultures and materials. I always have had an accepting and opened mind but I never was willing to change my lifestyle. I definitely have compared my culture to this culture and my own values as a person. I know I have decent and appropiate values for myself but my values about finding happiness has grown alot. I sometimes find my self being happy because the money ive earned lets me buy clothing. And thinking about all the expensive clothing I've bought, did it really make look better or happier?not necessarily. I notice I am so happy and free when I am here and when I travel to low income countries.  My parents always told me I am more beautiful when I volunteer and I feel it. The young girls are so beautiful, even though they had to cut their hair off, the passion they have to help their own family is what makes them beautiful. I know lot of people say they feel fortunate for what they have but why are they still wanting more? why do people have to get the luxurious cars,when you can buy one for low price that works ok.Its ridiculous. My goal is to decrease my values on designer items and just be lucky I get to change clothes everyday. I get mad when I see people buying and buying stupid clothes and have to tell everyone about it. Also, I get mad when some people whine about a phone breaking! We have been going two weeks without a phone and I been doing just fine, even better. I am lucky to have a family though and just cant believe I was adopted to the perfect family for me. I would like to adopt a child from Africa and teach them about their cultures as they grow up. My parents emphasized on having me and my siblings learn about our culture. It was not their way of teaching us to be happy with what we got, it was more to expand and come up with our own values and ideas about cultures. And I think I have almost reached that point where I am ready to change my lifestyle values one step at a time.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment