Wednesday, August 29, 2012

light vs strength

Seth(interpreter from World Joy-Great guy and spent lots of time with him learning new things).We are on the new carousel!

8/28/2012-8/29
Tuesday:  We are still continuing to interview with a committee of water& carousel folks in Wekpedi-Abresu(near Abomosu). The carousel was our new project for Lexi and I to take on. We learned that the carousel charges electricity  for the lanterns. The lanterns are not like paper lanterns more like a lamp for camping but can recharge. As we interviewed a group from the committee and some local villagers, I learned a few facts about how important the lantern was for the children. Because of power-outage or no electricity and gets dark at 6PM, what are the kids going to do about studying? Some students are given lanterns to study at night and have other students join in one group. The lantern has helped the children to be able to study at night and participate in discussions the following day. The parents of children with lanterns emphasized how blessed they are for the lanterns because they value education, but the parents requested a lantern for their night house chores but were not allowed to use it. It seems, the older folks or parents do not get the opportunity to have things such as shoes or clothing donated to them specifically. Most of the adults in every village we have visited have asked us to bring back clothes or lanterns. I spoke to everyone and apologized for not having knowledge of the villages wanted as well as not being able to make any promises. It is heartbreaking when we show up with nothing to give(materials) except our ears. The folks were still thankful of course and hopes we come back to bring change. Later we interviewed some young teens and they spoke well about how blessed they are for the lanterns. It really amazes me how one lantern can change a small group of villagers. I was telling Lexi how we even take flashlights for granted. I thought about light and how thankful I am for having light in my life. I didnt realize how the villagers life duties have to change because of light. In a way, I think of light as a little metaphor for Ghanaians; a little light such as the lanterns represent a little change in their lives and I think if there becomes more light in ones lives, there's a bigger change. My favorite quote "be the change you want to see" comes into play because  I really want to bring more lanterns to Ghana and you can't change something if you can't even see( ie light).  Seth did a well job explaining everything for us and translated everything I wanted to speak out. Seth helped give me a voice and It meant a lot to me. At the end of the interviews, I walked to the local market and met with Seth and he helped translate alot for the other girls to get an outfit made for them. I am just so thankful for meeting Seth, he has made this trip meaningful because he has taught me so much about the culture of Ghana and answers with such honesty. Also, I gave him 10 cedi($5) for helping us this week because he is not getting a penny for all his work in the summer. He was so proud and we went to the food section of the village and I learned what he buys every week for his family. I like being able to just hangout with a Ghanaian because I can learn more and get a better picture of their lives.

Thursday:
   Today as a group we headed to Begoro to paint for the Army Salvation Rehabilitation Center for folks with a disability. I was in awe at this facility because it is exactly where I want to work. I met a special educator who is the only one working as a SPED. I was surprised and yet gave me motivation to come help him. We ended up not painting because of the horrible fumes so we just cleaned the rooms and bathroom. I went to visit with the SPED provider(no name) and let him now I am currently pursuing in  SPED. And all of a sudden, I sat with him and a patient and was helping! The little girl I met with is a 10 year old girl who is intellectually delayed and something else it seemed but I dont know. Anyways, the little girl could not talk yet and could use her body and hands perfectly fine but wouldn't participate in any activity we tried setting up for her plus the task the teacher wanted her to do was to hard for someone who is that low of an IQ. I learned that she has been abused by her grandmother for doing any daily living tasks and that was the reason the little girl refused or was unable to do anything. It is so unfortunate how nurture can be abused and affect our ability to function. I felt for her and wished I knew more about SPED and this event just showed me why I am pursuing SPED. I was asked to come back and start a SPED sschool in Ghana, but I have not planned that far ahead, but I still have the same dream/goal to build many SPED schools in 3rd world countries. This clinic touched me in a way, because I felt I belonged here and felt so valued. I also introduced myself to everyone and was not shy about it at all. I jumped right in and helped a boy with C.P to eat. And the captain was very happy because no one else even thought about feeding him that day because it was so busy. One trait I do love about myself is I like to step in and be a leader. I dont compare myself to others way of helping others, I can only compare myself from who I was the day before. And because I stepped in, I am closer to reaching my goal and being proud of every little bit of me. The little girl who has been abused but is a survivor reminded me of myself in a way because as a victim of verbal abuse as a child, I know what fear is but I always knew I had to be strong and take in the important shields I needed. I wish I can follow up on the young girl, because right after she is done at the clinic, she has to go back to the abusive grandmother. I pray to God for her to find that armour and hold on to it little longer.




No comments:

Post a Comment