Wednesday, September 5, 2012

how many ways to say goodbye?

        I am so sad to leave Ghana today, I am filled so many emotions. I do not know which emotion it is though. I just feel so blessed for my parents and friends for supporting me to go to Ghana. I found a spiritual side of myself on this trip. I question God's purposes in life and reasons for having poverty. But i do question when is there a limit to what God has done for us or that person. I just know that there are people out there who give back as if they are God's answers. I think I have grown to appreciate people's spiritual side. I have found that God or whoever is like a lucky rock for some kids who need it to survive. The pictures I have captured represents what I see in their eyes and if you look a Little closer, there is a story. I have seen the more privileged children compared to farmers. It s incredible how different the children look, I love how they follow us foreigners and just want a feel of our hands. I feel like a celebrity, but to me they are. It is a wonderful feeling to have when the children or adults just want one touch of your skin or hair. When I would go to a village, I would walk slowly up to the child and take my hand out and show them I am here to hold on for a little bit. It is amazing how much th children will open up in their own way. It was important for me to capture pictures of children rather than adults because there are the next generation that I might be able to help or see again. The adults were private and wanted more out of us such as bring money or food, but that is understandable. I respect every Ghanaian out here. I cannot compare what I have seen here in Ghana to America. I believe, You cannot compare other people's culture because that is like comparing people's hearts. Some things dont need to be compared, I think just learning about a new culture can make you a better person if you notice the true meaning behind the culture. I do compare my opportunities I have had to the community in Ghana because it makes me feel more blessed but I wont ever tell them I am more lucky. In a way, I feel they may feel more lucky to have a better heart or value than me and that is fine. I never thought about this till now, but what if they feel more lucky than us Americans? I am a Chinese -Jewish US. citizen and I have grown into a lucky family. Feeling lucky is not the same as feeling blessed. I think feeling lucky means you didn't earn it or had to work for it. I feel blessed because I have worked so hard to over come my challenges with my parents that now I can say " I am blessed".
Now reflecting on the first morning before saying goodbye to my family&boyfriend, I don't feel stupid for crying. I cried because I was scared to change/learn new things. Not alot of people like change, especially changing themselves and making room for that new picture. But my tears was me hoping I would have room to put that new picture of me up inside my heart. Which I succeeded. I cannot wait to go home and share my stories that I have not mentioned in these blogs. I will have a hard time going home and accepting the old familiar community.
Off to the airport to Amsterdam,which I am excited kind of but will miss Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment